Sunday, April 6, 2008

We Must Support

I found the article by Robert Jensen, “Goodbye to Patriotism” to be very informative and appealing. The article voices many concerns and thoughts that many Americans have, especially since 9/11. I feel as though we are pushed to be Patriotic and supportive of our Country, but many times I don’t agree with what is happening. I feel as though many people are stuck with these feelings, as they want to be supportive of our troops but do not agree with the war.

I often find myself in this position. I genuinely hate this war, but I completely support our troops. I respect and admire the passion, diligence, and courage that our troops have to fight for our Country. But at the same time I feel as though there has to be another solution to this war situation. I found Jensen’s quote moving, “…the only real way to defend ourselves is by military force. If you want to be patriotic, you should -- you must -- support the war.” I find it difficult to support the war, but I know I must support our troops. These men and women sacrifice their lives every day so that I can live a safe life here in America. I would feel guilty and selfish if I didn’t support the war, but yet I feel that this war is un-necessary and that it is not going to end any time soon.


I look forward to tomorrow’s class discussion because I am curious to see how other people feel about the war situation at hand.

No comments: