Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Public Transportation

In class we discussed the use of public transportation. I have never been to Europe, but it is evident that their transportation systems are much more advanced and readily available. Here in the United States the only high speed transportation we have available in the northeast is a high speed train that travels from Boston to New York City and to Washington DC. It is evident that transportation in the United States only focuses around large cities because of higher population. If we were able to have public transportation that was more available, people would not have to rely on automobiles as much.

As a resident of Berkshire County, I have always relied on my car since I first began driving. I have always said that I wouldn’t be able to survive without my car because I use it to go everywhere. I have never used the B-bus, nor do I even know where it goes or how much it costs. I have never used the bus system because it is more convenient to use my car and arrive at my destination at the time I want. I know that by not using public transportation I am only contributing to global warming and the constant rise in gasoline costs. But I believe that if public transportation was more available, people would find it more socially acceptable and more convenient.

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Of course; that's why certain industries bought up the rails and destroyed them in the last century.