Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Itching to doubt

“There's something in every atheist, itching to believe, and something in every believer, itching to doubt.”-Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

I found this quote online, and thought it was relevant to our class discussion. It is clear that believers, whether they are agnostic or fully practicing religious people, will always have a doubt in the back of their mind about the existence of god. Was religion created to help stop human suffering in an attempt to make life more enjoyable? And if god is real, which religion is the right one? These are only a few questions that many religious people struggle with. It is clear that people have been struggling with questions about the existence of god since the beginning of history, and that we will probably continue to remain answerless. But as long as there are no answers, people will continue to have questions. Perhaps the moral of the story is to stop worrying about the afterlife and concentrate on living right now.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I really don't think that the firm believers in either direction have doubt in the backs of their minds. I have met plenty of athiests that tell me I am crazy because I believe in a higher power, and I have plenty of Chrisitans telling me I am crazy for doubting that Jesus was the son of God. And I think that these people truly believe it.
*~Nikki~*