Saturday, November 24, 2007

to work or not to work?

I found this article very interesting because I sometimes view working as pointless and as a means to an end. I agree completely with Bentham, that we are pleasure seeking individuals and that we try to avoid pain when possible. It is evident that this motivates us and that work helps individuals seek pleasure, although it can be stressful, annoying, and tough. It is evident that work helps us satisfy our needs as well as our wants, so we are pressured into working. Working can be alienating, but I believe that it is partially our duty to the rest of the world to work. Although jobs cleaning up after other people such as janitors and maids are jobs that could be eliminated, most professions provide needed services for people. I do not think that working alienates people because people need to work in order to buy food, keep their house warm, pay bills, as well as many other necessities. Working can also be a rewarding experience and force people to work harder and contribute to society. I do not believe that working is negative or that people are working for only the end. I believe that working helps society and that it can build character as well as provide people with goals, assets, and build towards their future.

No comments: